Open Forum

Error when attempting to restore MR services: Please create a master key in the database or open the master key in the session before performing this operation

• 1.  Error when attempting to restore MR services: Please create a master key in the database or open the master key in the session before performing this operation

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Jan 21, 2021 09:55 AM
    Error when attempting to restore MR Database processing through configuration manager

Please create a master key in the database or open the master key in the session before performing this operation. The 'DecryptData' procedure attempted to return a status of NULL, which is not allowed. A status of 0 will be returned instead. Originating procedure: DecryptData. Machine: DED3W1DYSLA02

------------------------------
    Mackenzie Platten
    Crestwood Associates L.L.C.
    Schaumburg IL

• 2.  RE: Error when attempting to restore MR services: Please create a master key in the database or open the master key in the session before performing this operation

Posted Jan 22, 2021 08:28 AM
      |   view attached
    Run the attached script against the ManagementReporter database to add the new encryption key information to the database.

Jeff Larson
    Senior Technical Consultant
    Boyer & Associates
    Plymouth MN

Attachment(s)

txt
    MRDBMove.txt   4 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Error when attempting to restore MR services: Please create a master key in the database or open the master key in the session before performing this operation

BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Jan 22, 2021 10:45 AM

Here is a script that I have used to reset MR Master Key:

It has been a while since I used it, I do not remember all of the details, but it may give you a starting point.

Obviously you have to uncomment and change database and password.

No guarantee this will work for you, always back up databases.

If you use this, you accept all responsibility.

--"This is necessary before creating MR Services"' Create services first then DataMart

--use [ManagementReporter database]  

--OPEN MASTER KEY DECRYPTION BY PASSWORD = 'xxxxxxxx'  -- change to desired key?

--ALTER MASTER KEY ADD ENCRYPTION BY SERVICE MASTER KEY                      

★★★

Respectfully,

Ed Leffler

http://www.lefflerlabs.com

407-37-Help-1

407-374-3571

For Dynamics SL help click here!

Please consider the environment before printing this mail

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Leffler Labs, LLC is not a CPA firm, attorney, or tax professionals and as such it is not a substitute for any of these. When needed always seek the advice of an appropriate professional.

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The message may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by return email and delete the message.

• 4.  RE: Error when attempting to restore MR services: Please create a master key in the database or open the master key in the session before performing this operation

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Jan 22, 2021 02:56 PM
    Thank you Ed and Jeff!  Both of you sent me exactly what I needed!!!

Mackenzie Platten
    Crestwood Associates L.L.C.
    Schaumburg IL