Open Forum

Hand Held Device re: Distribution Process

• 1.  Hand Held Device re: Distribution Process

BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 25 days ago

Hi All

To fine tune our distribution business processes we are actively considering the use of hand held devices that would allow sales personnel on the field to be able to interact with inventory, possibly print an invoice to give to the customer which can be electronically signed on receipt.   In addition, on returning to the office this device should allow the synchronization to take place with the system.

Does anyone know of a possible solution or third party product that I could look at to allow any sort of remote capabilities for our distribution processes.

Any input or response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Lisa

------------------------------
    Lisa
    Academy - Online Interactive Learning from Experts

• 2.  RE: Hand Held Device re: Distribution Process

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 25 days ago
    Hi Lisa,

It really depends on what your distribution process currently is....by that I mean, are you a service company (HVAC, etc) or are you selling product directly using sales orders??

As far as barcoding goes, I just implemented that in our warehouse using Gulfstream barcoding.....installed it when I was a consultant at several clients and now use it ourselves.....basic barcoding that works great for straight inventory moving but doesn't allow for printing of invoices, signatures, etc.

If you're a service company that uses SL service dispatch, then Field Connect sounds like what you are looking for......allows techs to automate the process completely with signatures, emailing of invoices, etc.

For sales orders, I don't know of 1 off the top of my head that does what you are looking for......I wouldn't think it would be hard to do something with Sharepoint, DocuSign, etc. to create what you are looking for......service dispatch could work like sales order as well if you wanted to go down that path which would bring Field Connect back into play.....also Brian Wharton at Catalina Technologies has a bunch of API's that tie into SL....he may have something already or could help you with what you're looking for.....

Hope this helps...let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Michael

Michael O'Neill
    Director of Finance
    Eastex Telephone Cooperative
    Henderson TX

• 3.  RE: Hand Held Device re: Distribution Process

BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 25 days ago
    Hi Brian

Thanks much for your response.

It is a distribution company so products are being sold from sales orders.  I was thinking of Gulf Stream before sending this email so tell me a bit of your experience using that solution.  It seems to have some limitations but apart from its inability of printing invoices will it not allow a remote capability for the sales person out on the field?  Does it interact with the inventory using barcoding only?

I may have to reach out to them for a DEMO but it would be good to get from you a first hand impression of the product.

Thanks again

Lisa

• 4.  RE: Hand Held Device re: Distribution Process

BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 25 days ago
    Sorry, instead of Brian, that should be Michael.

My apologies.. :)

Lisa

• 5.  RE: Hand Held Device re: Distribution Process

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 25 days ago
    Hi Lisa,

No worries......

So Gulfstream is a barcode software that ties to SL.  It is only barcoding.  It does all the transactions.  I believe Grant does have it where an Iphone can do the barcode for remote capabilities....

It works great with the OM process in SL.  I had a client that was in food processing and had to have everything lot/serial tracked.  I put them on Gulfstream and implemented SL Work Order.  Inventory (PO) receipts were done via the guns.  Work Orders to make the product were created and inventory movement done with the guns.  Sales were done via OM using the guns.  All reports printed with barcodes on them (i.e. - pick tickets, etc.)  They also count monthly using the guns.....they had 7 buildings where the guns worked.

As long as the guns are on the network, they will work.  We have 3 locations (totally separate cities) but everyone is on the same network....

I am curious about the 'remote' sales......is this something a tech goes to a house and does a sale??

This was the quick version of how the guns work.....let me know if you would like more info and we can do a call.....

Thanks,
    Michael

Michael O'Neill
    Director of Finance
    Henderson TX

• 6.  RE: Hand Held Device re: Distribution Process

BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 25 days ago
    Hi Michael

The information given so far is very helpful.  At this point I will reach out to the vendor for a DEMO so any further clarification can be given on the product and we can decide if it would be the best fit.

In response to the 'remote sales', what normally occurs is that the sale personnel goes out to a client to deliver products and on that sale they want to be able to deliver the goods, which will drawn down on the inventory and give the client an invoice at the same time.  This invoice is presently printed from the office and the sales personnel is required to get a copy signed on delivery of the goods.  It would be good to have the invoice seen on the device so it can be electronically signed by the customer to reduce the usage of paper.

At this point I am simplifying the process but this is in a nutshell what needs to be accomplished remotely.

Thanks again

Lisa

• 7.  RE: Hand Held Device re: Distribution Process

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 25 days ago
    Hi Lisa,

I would think the customer signing the pick ticket or packing slip for delivery and then having OM automatically create the invoice as the next step.....the invoice could be emailed to the customer.....

Tell Grant I said hi....lol

Thanks,
    Michael

Michael O'Neill
    Director of Finance
    Henderson TX