Open Forum

Accounts Payable

• 1.  Accounts Payable

Posted 16 days ago

Good evening - I am a new Dynamics SL user and have a couple of questions related to AP that I am hoping someone can answer or point me in the right direction.  I have used primarily Deltek GCS Premier during all of my Accounting years.

1) Date, Invoice Date, and Due Date
    * What is the "Date" field used for?
    * How does it affect other modules within Dynamics SL?
    * I assume "Invoice Date" is the date of the invoice.  Does the "Invoice Date" affect any other modules?
    * I assume "Due Date" is automatically populated based on the payment terms of the vendor and the invoice date.

2) Batches
    * Instead of deleting a voucher from a batch, are we able to move it to another batch so the voucher does not need to be re-entered/re-created at a later time?

Thank you,
    Gene Lee

------------------------------
    Gene Lee
    Director of Finance & Accounting
    CALIBRE
    Alexandria VA

• 2.  RE: Accounts Payable

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 16 days ago
    Date is the date you enter the transaction in the system (system date).  Invoice date is the date on the invoice and it doesn't flow over to GL.  You are correct on due date.  There isn't a way to move a document to a new batch that I'm aware of.   The period to post is a header level field so all documents in a batch have the same period to post.  Hope this helps!

Robert Guerriero
    Director of Accounting
    Telephone Electronics Corporation
    Jackson MS

• 3.  RE: Accounts Payable

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 15 days ago

Without getting someone to write a SQL script, the easiest way I can think to copy over to a new batch would be to hit the export to excel button to get the grid data, take a snip it or snapshot of the header data and then delete the document.

Go to your new batch and manually enter the header data (vendor ID, invoice number, invoice date, and amount); then copy the grid data from excel.

Marc

Marc DeLozier
    Finance SysAdmin
    David Evans and Associates Inc.
    Portland OR

• 4.  RE: Accounts Payable

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 15 days ago
    To expand the previous answer a bit about the use of dating in the Accounts Payable module.
    1)   The invoice date is only used to drive the calculation of the Due date.    In our environment, we advise our users to always "tell the truth" about the Invoice date.
    2)   The Due Date is used in the "Until Due" version of the Accounts Payable aging report, a report I call a "Cash Flow Forecast".    We set our aging buckets on an until basis in the AP Setup screen to 7/14/21, and thus have a 3 week cash flow forecast for payables.
    3)   The Due Date drives the initial value of the Pay Date.    The Pay Date can be overridden by users.    The Pay Date drives the automated Payment Selection process to pick which vouchers to pay on the next check run.
    4)    The document date drives the transaction in the APTran, GLTran, and PJTran tables.  The Document Date is intended capture the date the document is entered into the system.   We do some reporting to track the time difference between the invoice date and document date to identify issues where vendors send late invoices, or the AP team lags in getting transactions into the system.  The Document Date also drives the multi-currency currency effective date for vouchers using a currency that is the not the database's base currency.    The currency of an AP batch can be set at a batch level as well as the batch's currency effective date -  but I don't recommend this.     Using the document date to drive the currency effective date means that an AP batch can use several different currency rates within the same batch.

As to the copy, there is a little-known feature these days in the screens with multiple levels such as the AP Voucher and the AR Invoice screens called "Copy Special".     The Copy Special capability is invoked from the screen menu.

Try this:
    1)    Pull up the voucher you want to copy from.    Position the cursor in the reference number field.    From the Screen's Menu, select "Copy Special", and select all levels.
    2)    Pull up the batch where you want to append the voucher.    Start a new voucher, and position the cursor in the blank reference number field.    From the menu, choose paste or use the hot key "Ctrl" + "V".    The voucher will copy into the second batch, and can then be saved as a new reference number.   It will carry all of the original info from both the document and grid level.

Best regards,

Gail Jones-Nemeth
    Financial Systems Analyst
    Creative Associates Int'l
    Washington DC

• 5.  RE: Accounts Payable

Posted 11 days ago
    Thank you Gail for the "Copy Special" secret.  That is very helpful when our WIPFLI downloaded invoices should be posted to different periods.

Blessings & have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    Geri

Geri Kramer
    Saddleback Church
    Lake Forest CA