Open Forum

Duplicate batch numbers - IN and PO

• 1.  Duplicate batch numbers - IN and PO

BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Feb 26, 2018 01:36 PM
    ​Had a weird thing happen we've never seen before.  We had 2 PO receipt batches and 2 inventory cost roll batches use the same batch number.  Normally we do our cost rolls at an off-hours time when there isn't any other activity.  One of our accounting people did 40 or so of them Friday afternoon when we had normal receiving activity going on.  I can see where generally the different transaction types were apparently grabbing the last batch number from INTran and incrementing it.  Most of the batch numbers are interleaved between the two modules, but 2 stepped on each other and I assume they somehow failed to lock the last batch number or didn't increment it, or something like that.

Anyone else seen this?  I told our accounting group they should only do rolls at off times, but just trying to see if anyone has seen this.

------------------------------
    Pete Draigh
    IT Systems Manager
    MarketLab
    Caledonia MI

• 2.  RE: Duplicate batch numbers - IN and PO

Posted Mar 06, 2019 03:09 PM
    Hello Pete,

Have you found and fix the issue behind the duplicate batch? We are experiencing the same thing and don't know how to fix it.

Thank you​,
    Nicoleta Capmare

Nicoleta Capmare
    Flynn Canada
    Mississauga ON

• 3.  RE: Duplicate batch numbers - IN and PO

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Mar 12, 2019 05:37 AM
    Many years ago, I used to see extremely sporadic problems due to overlapping number sequences across modules.    In theory, there shouldn't be a problem but I have seen it so I just prevent it.

What I've always done in my databases is to make sure that the numbering sequences across modules is different.    For example, our sequences look something like:
    GL     1XXXXX
    AP     3XXXXX
    AR     8XXXXX
    IN      5XXXXX
    PO    4XXXXX

This way, a user looking at a batch number in the GL will immediately recognize the source for a transaction, but there will also never be the possibility of   overlapping batch numbers.   If you are doing very high volumes of transactions, then consider how widely to space the number sequences to allow for future growth.

The number sequences shown above have to be changed in the setup screen in every module.      You may also want to revisit sequence numbers for vouchers and invoices.    I would not recommend that those sequences be the same as their module as it confuses the users.  For example, don't start AP vouchers with 3XXXXX and also the batch number with 3XXXXX.

Hope this helps.

Gail Jones-Nemeth
    Financial Systems Analyst
    Creative Associates Int'l
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Duplicate batch numbers - IN and PO

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Mar 13, 2019 08:41 AM
    We don't use PO so haven't see duplicate IN & PO batches.  However, we have approximately 20 years of transactions in our various SL databases and  I have duplicate batch numbers across GL, IN, Cash Manager, AP and a custom work order module in the batch table.  I've never had any issues with duplicate batch numbers.

Robert Guerriero
    Director of Accounting
    Telephone Electronics Corporation
    Jackson MS

• 5.  RE: Duplicate batch numbers - IN and PO

Posted Mar 13, 2019 09:39 AM

We do have the same batch number across the modules in Dynamics and this is not a problem.

The issue we have is on the Issues screen.
    When the IN batch is selected, we see all the transactions that belong to IN and PO batches that have the same batch number, and I am not sure how the two batches got combined and what is the fix for this. The IN batch appears as being posted but in the INTRAN table the PO transactions appear unreleased and the batch cannot be cleared.

Nicoleta Capmare
    Flynn Canada
    Mississauga ON

• 6.  RE: Duplicate batch numbers - IN and PO

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Mar 14, 2019 08:52 AM
    I agree.   I never saw the issue specific to the financial modules.    I only saw the issues in BOM,  Inventory and PO.    It is extremely sporadic, and it had to do with releasing two batches at precisely  the same time.

As I said, I just prevent it by changing the number sequence.    It saves confusion for users down the line so it also has a benefit.

Best regards,

Gail Jones-Nemeth
    Financial Systems Analyst
    Creative Associates Int'l
    Washington DC