Open Forum

How Menu Favorites work

• 1.  How Menu Favorites work

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 28, 2020 05:39 PM

We are in the process of upgrading from V2018 CU2 to V2018 CU5.    I noticed that after running the CU5 Database Update on my TEST SQL Server that my menu "favorites" no longer appear on the menu.

On CU2, I had already noticed that copying the system database from our LIVE server to our TEST server resulted in a change in the display of favorites, but the favorites did still appear - just in a different sequence and it didn't include the folders on my favorites I built in the LIVE database. 

In CU5, they aren't appearing at all.

I tried to investigate by comparing the contents of SLMENUITEM from the system database on the newly converted TEST (CU5) environment vs. the LIVE (CU2) environment for a specific user (me).    I can't see any difference.

Is there another table that controls the display of favorites that I'm missing?  Has anyone else found this issue?    Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Gail Jones-Nemeth
    Financial Systems Analyst
    Creative Associates Int'l
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: How Menu Favorites work

Posted Dec 29, 2020 08:56 AM

Good Morning,

It has been a long while since I had a moment to contribute.

Nice to see your name.

I have appreciated our discussions many years ago.

My first thought is to have the user "clear their cache", exit SL and reopen.

That might fix the items not showing up and showing up out of order as each user's SL profile would have a different cache stored.

After that, I would probably have to SQL profile as nothing stands out as an issue.

We are not on CU5 yet, so this sounds like something more might encounter.

Good luck.

Christopher Childs
    VP of IT
    F&W Forestry Services, Inc.
    Albany

• 3.  RE: How Menu Favorites work

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Jan 04, 2021 09:38 AM
    I just wanted to update everyone about what I found after actually going live on V2018 CU5.     The issue with menu favorites seems to have been an issue generated by running the test conversion.    There were several highlighted errors in the test conversion that seem to have led to the errors above.

Before going live, I cleaned up all of the errors highlighted in the test conversion, and when I ran the database upgrade during go-live, it ran without errors.   I also reset all users to regenerate their menus once they logged in to the new version.

The great news is that at go-live, we are not having any issues with Favorites on the menus.     So I guess I have to chalk this up issues found by the conversion process.

We are up on CU5 and doing fine!

Gail Jones-Nemeth
    Financial Systems Analyst
    Creative Associates Int'l
    Washington DC