Open Forum

Help adding PE34 field to a task

• 1.  Help adding PE34 field to a task

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Feb 13, 2019 12:37 PM
    ​We make extensive use of user fields.   However, the way we try to add user fields in the project modules relies on using the fields shown in the "ID Maintenance" screen.

My current problem is that I need to add a "user" field to the Task Tab of the Project Maintenance screen because I've already used up all of the PJPent "User" fields.  Thus, I need to use the PJPent.PE_IDXX fields if I want to add a new field.    The one I'm trying to use is PE_ID34, which shows up on the ID Maintenance screen under "PE34".     I can set it to visible, have it look up against the Vendor ID field, and it looks like it should show up on the Project Maintenance screen in customization mode.

But no!    PJPent.PE_ID34  isn't on the task tab  in customization mode, and shows up as a field that has to be added as a new object to the screen.

Fine.  I add the PE_ID34 field to the screen (all user mode), and it shows up correctly when I reopen the screen.  I'll have to manually add the PV lookup but I can do that later.   I can type in a value into the field and then save the value in the field; when I navigate to another row of the Task Tab, the new value in the PE_ID34 field displays.

Alas.   When I navigate to a different project, and then go back to the original project and look at the task tab, the PE_ID34 field is now empty.

Has anyone else run into this?    How do I get these PJPent extension fields to work properly on the screen when they're not showing up in the task tab?

I'd appreciate any ideas!   Keep in mind my expertise is limited, and adding a new customer extension table to the screen  is way beyond my skill set.

Best regards,

------------------------------
    Gail Jones-Nemeth
    Financial Systems Analyst
    Creative Associates Int'l
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Help adding PE34 field to a task

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Feb 14, 2019 07:17 AM
    Make sure the correct level is associated with the control.  Set it to the level of columns from the same row of data on the screen.
    If it is not then the value will not be cleared when you move to a new task and the program does not recognize the change and will not set the 'dirty' flag on the row.  If the flag is not set then the save will not save the level.

Sounds like that is what may be happening here.

Mark Schrier
    Information Systems Director
    Mackay Communications, Inc
    Raleigh NC

• 3.  RE: Help adding PE34 field to a task

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Feb 14, 2019 10:38 AM

Thanks for the response, Mark.

I checked the "Level" property of a working field and the PE_ID34 field, and both say level = 1.      On this screen, I picked the field from the "Task" level.

Is there another place this is stored?

Best regards,

Gail Jones-Nemeth
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Help adding PE34 field to a task

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Feb 14, 2019 10:45 AM
    That should do it.  I have had instances where the level was wrong.  If that is the same level as the other controls from the task row then shouldn't be the problem.

Mark Schrier
    Raleigh NC

• 5.  RE: Help adding PE34 field to a task

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Feb 15, 2019 01:06 PM

Thanks for the response Mark.

I entered this as an issue with Microsoft, and support has answered that the field PE_ID32 & PE_ID34 were intended to be released as available fields in V2015.   This change was documented to show these fields as available and the PJContrl table was updated to show the fields as NOT reserved and as available.

However, the code in the project maintenance screen was not changed, and still ignores the fields even if they are on the screen.    Apparently my customization was correct, but the generic screen is ignoring the field.   Support has entered this as a bug, but the priority isn't high.

My only option is find another field I can re-purpose so I'll have to try that.

Best regards,

Gail Jones-Nemeth
    Washington DC

• 6.  RE: Help adding PE34 field to a task

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Feb 15, 2019 01:24 PM
    Another undocumented feature.  I seem to remember that the original programmers had mentioned that certain fields were not allowed.....  It makes sense now.

Mark Schrier
    Raleigh NC