Open Forum

Adding an employee earnings record

• 1.  Adding an employee earnings record

BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 19, 2018 06:19 PM
    We paid moving expenses with an AP check for an employee in 2018.  I would like to add a record in his earnings that increases his wages, decreases the total federal tax we have withheld and increases the FICA and Medicare taxes so that this gets reported correctly on his W2 and it is in the records for his employee earnings file (rather than just making the change to his W2).

I know I could add an earnings record in my old system and it would not impact cash, etc.  but I am not sure I can do that in SL.  Any suggestions?

------------------------------
    Michele Gargaro
    Controller
    TDA Research, Inc.
    Wheat Ridge CO

• 2.  RE: Adding an employee earnings record

BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 20, 2018 08:59 AM
    You will need to setup a non-cash earning and attach the FED1, FED2, FED3, FED4, FED5, and FED6 deductions to them.  Then enter moving expense the amount in Time&Dollar entry.  Once the check is calculated, manually do a negative amount to FED1 to offset the FED2 and FED5 taxes.  Depending on which version of SL you are on, you will either need to do a .01 check or a zero check.

Jenny Dinh
    Noble Resources Corp
    Tampa FL

• 3.  RE: Adding an employee earnings record

BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 20, 2018 10:38 AM

Thanks for the response – what do you mean by a "non-cash" earning?

M Michele Gargaro | Controller

TDA Research | 12345 W. 52nd Ave, Wheat Ridge, CO 80033

O 303.940.5380 |  mgargaro@tda.com

LOGO

• 4.  RE: Adding an employee earnings record

BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 20, 2018 10:53 AM

In Earnings Type Maintenance, uncheck the Contribute to net pay box.   Review the PayrollDirectDeposit user manual page 48 on Setting up Earnings types if you need a better explanation.  Also change the W-2 control box number if needed.

Jenny Dinh
    Noble Resources Corp
    Tampa FL