Open Forum

2019 expected depreciation

• 1.  2019 expected depreciation

Posted Jan 07, 2019 04:19 PM
    Edited by Kaleb DeJager Jan 07, 2019 04:21 PM
    Hey all,

I am trying to find out how to run a report that shows the expected Depreciation for the following year broken down by account & sub account.  I have found one report that shows the total depreciation for each month, but some does not break it down by each account and sub accounts, so in prior years I was forced to go line by line and add up the depreciation in excel to see what dropped of each month and it is very time consuming. There has to be a way to do this.

Our accounts our 4 digits follow by a 6 digit sub account. An example would be 7159(acct)-600-000(sub).
    So for 7159-600-000 the 2019 expected depreciation is: _______ (this is what I would need the report to give me)

What report can do this for me?

Thanks all,

------------------------------
    Kaleb DeJager
    Controller
    WELSCH READY MIX, INC.
    OAK FOREST IL

• 2.  RE: 2019 expected depreciation

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Jan 07, 2019 04:25 PM
    Hi Kaleb,

Are you using Progressive Fixed Assets or SL Fixed Assets?

If it's Progressive, we use that and I can assist there....I would imagine that SL FA would work the same way...

Thanks,
    Michael

Michael O'Neill
    Controller
    Eastex Telephone Cooperative
    Henderson TX

• 3.  RE: 2019 expected depreciation

Posted Jan 07, 2019 04:57 PM
    We are using SL Fixed assets, we have SL 2015

Kaleb DeJager
    AP Manager
    WELSCH READY MIX, INC.
    OAK FOREST IL

• 4.  RE: 2019 expected depreciation

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Jan 08, 2019 10:15 AM
    So I don't know the tables for SL fixed assets....

For Progressive FA, I have a table that spells out each asset, the monthly depreciation amount, acct / subacct, period and other fields.  If your SL table has this info, I would have a SQL view created for this table.  You can then use that view to create a quick query.  Once it's a QQ, you can then filter, dump to a spreadsheet, then create a pivot table getting the information you need.  Or if the view is written to sum based upon year, acct, and subacct, you wouldn't need the pivot table.

You will need access to SQL, ability to write a view then create a QQ in SL.....if you need any help, just let me know...

Thanks,
    Michael

Michael O'Neill
    Controller
    Eastex Telephone Cooperative
    Henderson TX

• 5.  RE: 2019 expected depreciation

Posted Jan 08, 2019 12:04 PM
    Hi, Kaleb.  In SL, if you go to the screen that you use to calculate depreciation, there is a section in the bottom that says "Monthly Forecaster".  Be sure to put "INTERNAL" in the book code on the top right corner.  You can then put in the periods 01-2019 through 12-2019, and choose "Acct/Sub Grouping" from the drop down box below.  Then click on the button that says Calculate.  It will take about as long as it takes to process your depreciation, but when it's finished, you should have a report that you can then save as Excel or CSV and slice and dice to your heart's content.  Good luck!

Jessica Miazga
    Ready MIx Accountant
    Ozinga Bros., Inc.
    Mokena, IL

• 6.  RE: 2019 expected depreciation

Posted Jan 08, 2019 12:18 PM
    In the top right corner we only have the book code option: "GL"

Kaleb DeJager
    AP Manager