Open Forum

For the Excel gurus...

• 1.  For the Excel gurus...

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10 days ago

Hi to my Excel guru friends!
    I created a spreadsheet to track sales opportunities in Excel.  I used power query to combine tables on different tabs into one table that then drives several graphs on a dashboard.  When others open, modify and save the file on the shared drive, the next person who opens it sees this error:
    We found a problem with some content in 'file name.xlsm'.  Do you want us to try to recover as much as we can?  If you trust the source of this workbook, click Yes.

Upon clicking yes, a box pops up that says Excel was able to open the file by repairing or removing the unreadable content, and lists Removed part: drawing1.xml part (drawing shape) ...which seems to be the dashboard graphs that were removed.

Any idea what causes this, and how to prevent?  We think it may have something to do with this question "Do you want to make this file a Trusted Document?", which is answered differently by each user (even though we have instructed them to say "yes").

Thanks so much!

Cathy

------------------------------
    Cathy McCarter
    Financial Analyst
    Innovative Wireless Technologies
    Lynchburg VA

• 2.  RE: For the Excel gurus...

GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 10 days ago
    If it's the reason you suspect, try adjusting the Office Trust Center settings. A typical need is to allow documents on the network to be trusted, which is off by default and which is set on the below screen, opened by using File, Options, Trust Center and then clicking the Trust Center Settings button:

Then you may need to set the file location as a Trusted Location using the pane for that. Note that these settings are per user.

Jonathan Van Houtte
    Architect
    XLstatements, LLC
    Clifton Park NY