Open Forum

invalid user name or password error when you try to login to microsoft dynamics sl

• 1.  invalid user name or password error when you try to login to microsoft dynamics sl

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 15, 2020 03:07 PM
    New workstation setup for SL 2015 CU2:

I ran the install using the command line prompts.  I ran Synchronize database users and logins for all databases
    I set the login to windows authentication
    When I login:
    invalid user name or password error when you try to login to microsoft dynamics sl

Why would I get the login? Shouldn't this automatically open SL?
    Any ideas on how to resolve?

------------------------------
    Mackenzie Platten
    Crestwood Associates L.L.C.
    Schaumburg IL

• 2.  RE: invalid user name or password error when you try to login to microsoft dynamics sl

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 15, 2020 03:26 PM
    The first time a user runs the Dynamics SL client on a workstation, even with Windows authentication, it will pop three screens.

The first, Find Database (98.000.01), will be for the SQL Server (instance) name and Dynamics SL system database name.

The second, Dynamics SL Login (98.000.00), will be for the User ID and password. One must enter a valid Dynamics SL User ID associated with the Windows account one is logged in as. If  a password was created for the Dynamics SL User ID then that must also be entered. Using that password option is, in my experience, unusual, so you probably will leave the Password field blank.

The third, Select a Company, screen is for the Company to use.

The information entered into these screen is used to build a solomon.ini file in that user's WIndows profile. Once that is built, the system gets the information from that file, bypassing these screens.

Jonathan Van Houtte
    Architect
    XLstatements, LLC
    Clifton Park NY

• 3.  RE: invalid user name or password error when you try to login to microsoft dynamics sl

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 15, 2020 03:30 PM
    Thank you for your very prompt reply:

I have get to the third option where I am able to select the application database.  Once I do then I receive the error.  Do you think that I should clear the password for my user in the database using SQL?

Mackenzie Platten
    Schaumburg IL

• 4.  RE: invalid user name or password error when you try to login to microsoft dynamics sl

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 15, 2020 03:38 PM
    If no one knows the password for that User ID, then one option would be to blank that value in the UserRec table. A better option might be to log in as an administrator and use the User Maintenance (95.260.00) screen to do this.

Jonathan Van Houtte
    Architect
    XLstatements, LLC
    Clifton Park NY

• 5.  RE: invalid user name or password error when you try to login to microsoft dynamics sl

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 15, 2020 04:00 PM
    The password field is gone from User Maintenance screen when windows auth is turned on.  But I set the password to blank in userrec table and was able to login!  Thanks so much Jonathan!

Mackenzie Platten
    Schaumburg IL

• 6.  RE: invalid user name or password error when you try to login to microsoft dynamics sl

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Dec 15, 2020 04:34 PM
    The Password field is on the User Maintenance screen in Dynamics SL 2018 (and 2015, IIRC) even when using Windows authentication.

Jonathan Van Houtte
    Architect
    XLstatements, LLC
    Clifton Park NY