Open Forum

Automatic Allocations

• 1.  Automatic Allocations

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Sep 23, 2016 09:32 AM

As we look at running the indirect rate calculator, one option that was suggested was to turn on Auto-Started allocations on the Project Setup Screen - PC Options and Setup.

Is anyone else using this feature?    The biggest problem cited is that you have to keep monitoring your messages because if the allocator runs into a problem, you need to be reviewing the errors you might normally be getting in a batch report.

Speaking of that, if the system is running auto-allocations, doesn't it make a whole bunch of batch reports?    How do you get those to reprint?   We currently store all of ours to a PDF file and keep them as they disappear after processing.

If you are running the feature:

- why did you turn it on?

-  what do you like about it?

-  what problems, if any, has it caused?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Best regards,

------------------------------
    Gail Jones-Nemeth
    Financial Systems Analyst
    Creative Associates Int'l
    Washington DC
    202-551-5806

• 2.  RE: Automatic Allocations

Posted Sep 24, 2016 03:15 PM

Auto-Started Allocations are a big plus as far as I'm concerned.  The only time I turn it off is during setup, implementation and testing to be able to control when the allocations are run and to preview and troubleshoot results.  Once that's all done, I turn it on as it offers several advantages, and benefits are maximized when using Auto FTT for Financial and Distribution transactions.

1.  No Allocations reports are printed, saving significant amounts of paper.  They can always be printed (or exported to PDF) by batch using a standard report in the Allocations module.

2.  Allocations will happen "real-time" which can be very useful to keep all parts of the system updated and if setup to do so, create and load Billings transactions.  If you're billing a customer for expense or materials reimbursements, for example, releasing an AP batch will trigger Auto-FTT, Allocations and Billings Transactions Load.  All accounts involved are updated immediately (after posting the batches in the GL) and you can go from batch release directly to Invoice and Adjustment Maintenance and load the billing transactions onto a draft.

3.  Manual steps are eliminated, and no more "where are my billing transactions?" support calls because someone forgot to run the Allocator.

All Auto-started Allocations batches can be reviewed by previewing the Allocation Processor Messages report.  A quick scan of the report looking for a status of other than "Completed" will point out any batches that didn't complete.  Turning on Auto-started Allocations requires checking the "Selections by Batch" check box.  This does have an impact on how the Allocations Processor screen operates and some brief "re-training" will be required for users of that screen.

In all the years I have used this feature, I always found it to be an advantage and it has never caused an issue for me.  It actually enhances the integration of the entire system and streamlines procedures.

Scott Kopald
    Dynamics SL Consultant
    Scott A. Kopald, CPA
    Ventura CA
    805-850-7484

• 3.  RE: Automatic Allocations

Posted Sep 24, 2016 05:12 PM

Be sure to read the SL help file for the Allocation Processor screen for some details about the functionality.  Like most of the Project Series help screens, this one is quite useful.

Scott Kopald
    Dynamics SL Consultant
    Scott A. Kopald, CPA
    Ventura CA
    805-850-7484

• 4.  RE: Automatic Allocations

TOP CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Sep 26, 2016 10:47 AM

Thanks so much, Scott.   This is really helpful!

One thing I don't understand is what happens when someone -  who isn't a user who should run allocations - releases a batch that would trigger an auto-allocation?     E.g. we have 3 A/P folks releasing batches, 2 P/R folks, a couple of GL folks, and billers doing GL imports to bring in consolidation files from many databases.   Most of them don't have rights to allocation processor.   I assume the auto-allocation is running on each person's workstation?

What rights do all of those folks have to have in order to release a batch that triggers auto-allocation?  Do they all have to have rights in Allocation Processor?    Are there any other screens/processes they need rights to?

If a user doesn't have rights to allocation processor with auto-allocation turned on, what happens when the batch release process tries to kick off the auto-allocation process?

Have you ever run into locking/blocking issues in SQL if two folks release a batch at the same time, and the auto-allocator kicks off on two machines at once?

How are you getting the Allocation Processor Batch Report to reprint?   Is there a setting in the Project Control file you have to change to enable that?

Just wondering:   Have you ever tried running allocation processor on the Application Server?   If you did, what kinds of issues did you run into?

Best regards,

Gail J-N

Gail Jones-Nemeth
    Financial Systems Analyst
    Creative Associates Int'l
    Washington DC
    202-551-5806

• 5.  RE: Automatic Allocations

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Jan 23, 2020 01:57 PM

Hi Gail (or anyone else who wants to chime in) 

Did you decide to turn on auto-allocate at your company?  If so, did you see any performance issues (locking/blocking, etc) with doing this?  We are contemplating doing it and see the potential upside of having it run in regards to revenue and billing records, but a bit worried about the performance side of it.

Thanks,
    Marc

Marc DeLozier
    Finance SysAdmin
    David Evans and Associates Inc.
    Portland OR