Open Forum

Company Car Mileage

• 1.  Company Car Mileage

Posted Oct 04, 2016 03:13 PM

I'm curious to hear how others are entering company car mileage into Dynamics? We are a professional services company and do bill company car mileage to our projects. We're currently entering it through project charge - but are now doubting the method might not be correct. 

------------------------------
    Jyoti Sohi
    MacKay Sposito

• 2.  RE: Company Car Mileage

Posted Oct 05, 2016 07:17 AM

You say you're billing for it, so I assume you're only billing for the miles you can actually apply to a particular customer project.  The rest I assume you're booking as an expense to an overhead account or something?

For the client billable miles, why not make it part of the expense report?  Just setup a company paid payment type for it which should get the accounting correct and prevent the generation of an AP for the items and setup a rate table and have employees enter the miles as line items on their expense reports.

Just a thought.

tom malia
    T&T Data Solutions L.L.C.
    Havre de Grace MD

• 3.  RE: Company Car Mileage

BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Oct 05, 2016 11:26 AM

Hi Jyoti,

For our company vehicles, we use project charge entries to bill for mileage and it works well for us.  For employees who use personal vehicles and require reimbursement for their mileage, we use expense reimbursement.

Corrie Kumbalek
    Accounting Assistant
    KBA, Inc.
    Bellevue WA

• 4.  RE: Company Car Mileage

Posted Oct 06, 2016 12:04 PM

Hi Jyoti,

We enter our company mileage through project charge entry as well. In order to stay FAR compliant, we do a journal entry every month to reduce our overhead by the amount of project chargeable mileage, since the PCE entries don't impact the GL. If you have a large fleet, this could be cumbersome (as it is for us, honestly). We are looking into options in the new WebApps to try to get the drivers to enter their mileage at the same time they do their timecards on their mobile devices and have it automatically upload into the system to eliminate the manual entry. For now, it is manual entry for us!

Regards,

Shannon Bratton
    Project Accounting Manager
    David Evans and Associates Inc.

• 5.  RE: Company Car Mileage

BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted Oct 07, 2016 09:30 AM

I forgot to mention that we also do what Shannon mentioned - a monthly Journal Entry to reduce our OH for company vehicles.  I created a Quick Query that our Controller can run each month to show the total amount of mileage we billed for our company vehicles through Project Charge Entries and then he does a JE to reduce our OH by that amount.

Corrie Kumbalek
    Accounting Assistant
    KBA, Inc.
    Bellevue WA

• 6.  RE: Company Car Mileage

Posted Oct 06, 2016 07:53 PM

We use Concur right now for expenses and the company car mileage is entered there. However, unfortunately, the zero dollar transactions don't pull in. So, we have a report in Concur that we import into project charge entry. 

Jyoti Sohi
    Payroll Accountant
    MacKay Sposito

• 7.  RE: Company Car Mileage

SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
    Posted 24 days ago
    I work with Shannon (who answered above) and we FINALLY got around to writing a web apps project to handle our mileage entry...The employees enter into web apps, it is reviewed by accounting who then run a batch process (again in web apps) to create a posted project charge entry batch!

You can check out what we did here:
    https://marcdelozier.com/2019/08/02/web-apps-custom-screen-mileage-entry/

Marc

Marc DeLozier
    Finance SysAdmin
    David Evans and Associates Inc.
    Portland OR